When you’ve suffered from acne or frequent breakouts, one of the most common next chapters to face is recovery from acne scarring. During breakouts with acne-prone skin, skin cells are rarely given enough time to properly heal and repair before the next breakout begins, leaving the skin damaged, broken, and scarred.
Getting through acne and finding the treatment plan that soothes your skin is a great feat on its own; if you’ve successfully mounted this obstacle, trust that you’ll be able to face and confidently heal through scarring recovery, too.
Several treatments are used to treat scarring; one of the more popular methods is microneedling. While we’ll get into the in’s and out’s of microneedling, it is important to first note that not every skin type and client is an ideal candidate for microneedling.
Before going in for a microneedling session, schedule time to visit with our treatment provider, Tammy Cullumber, so she can fully assess your skin and determine the best treatment for your skin type. Microneedling yields incredible results, so it’s in your best interest to maximize the benefit by working with a provider you trust, and who sufficiently knows and understands your skin.
Amongst the many benefits of microneedling, treating scarred skin is near the top. Microneedling helps with acne scarring because it encourages the growth of collagen, helping to minimize the appearance of acne scars.
What Is Microneedling?
Microneedling falls under the umbrella of the dermaroller procedure, which are treatments administered with a device that aims to reduce scarring, rejuvenate the skin, and slow signs of aging. The treatment itself involves pricking the skin with tiny needles to promote the growth of collagen.
Benefits of Microneedling Acne Scars:
- Eliminate all dirt, toxins and dead skin cells by removing the top layer of dirt
- Stimulate collagen
- Stimulate elastin
- Smooth skin
- Shrink pores
- Even out hyperpigmentation
- Smooth fine lines
- Smooth wrinkles
- Promote healthy, plump skin
- Minimally invasive
- Speedy recovery time
Will I Feel Microneedling for Scars?
The needle pricking lasts between 1-2 hours, and you might feel a sense of pressure. However, a numbing cream is applied to eliminate most sensation.
Precautions for Microneedling Acne After Breakouts Have Ceased
There are a few precautions worth taking before getting microneedling. One of the biggest warnings when it comes to potential skin enhancement treatment is the possible spread of bacteria. If the skin is breaking out or not properly sanitized, or if the roller is not professionally sanitized, harmful bacteria can enter the skin and cause unsightly reactions or other more serious skin reactions.
Candidates for Microneedling
- Healthy skin: you’ve done the work and achieved acne-free skin, we’re so happy for you! Everybody deserves to see their natural glow from the inside out. After a few months or a year of remaining breakout free and professional consultation, you can safely begin microneedling for rejuvenated skin.
- Ready to invest in regular treatment: the best results with microneedling are seen with multiple or regular treatments. We recommend starting with 3-5 treatments, getting about one/month and assessing your progress and results from there. Many patients choose to make microneedling a regular part of their facial health and upkeep.
Who Doesn’t Qualify for Microneedling
- Currently breaking out: we know you’re eager to get your brightest, most beautiful skin back, but trust us and wait to get treatment until the breakouts have ceased. If you’re broken out while your skin is open and vulnerable, the bacteria can spread and cause that breakout to multiply or worsen. Wait until the skin has been calm for several months.
- One-time treatment-goers: microneedling is one of the facial treatments that require consistency to achieve result longevity. One microneedling session will undoubtedly serve the skin and initiate rejuvenation, but it is the multiple or regular treatments that yield younger, healthier, fuller skin.
What Can I Expect from Microneedling?
Microneedling does not require a lot of downtime for how much it reshapes the skin; however, depending on the type of skin you have, you’ll most likely have pink and vulnerable skin for a few days. Remember, the top layer of skin has been removed, so avoid exposure to the sun for up to a few weeks.
Tammy Cullumber has over a decade of experience as a Medical Laser Esthetician. She understands what a toll the skin and body can take on well-being and is proud to usher each of her clients through a personalized treatment plan to achieve their desired skin. Reach out to our team today to learn more about microneedling and other services we offer to help combat your acne scars. We look forward to meeting you soon and bringing back your smooth complexion and youthful glow.